Pages

Captaincy has not changed me, says Strootman

The 22-year-old was handed the armband for his side's World Cup qualification fixtures against Andorra and Romania, in absence of Inter playmaker Wesley Sneijder. The PSV man has since expressed his appreciation for coach Louis van Gaal's confidence, but insists he has not adapted his game to suit his new role. "I didn't expect [to be handed the captaincy] when I arrived. I was pleasantly surprised," Strootman told reporters after his side's 3-0 win over Andorra. "It does give you a special feeling. But once you're on the field, you forget about it. I'm still the same, even with the armband, that's important. You shouldn't suddenly behave differently." Netherlands next fixture comes against Romania, who currently top Group D on goal difference ahead of Oranje.