Pages

Rooney unworried by claims of not starring for England since Euro 2004

Yet the 26-year-old still has to hear talk that he has failed to star for England since his tournament debut as a teenager at Euro 2004. ROONEY LATEST 25/1 Wayne Rooney is 25/1 with PaddyPower to be the Premier League's top goalscorer "I am a confident person. When I look back at previous tournaments, I know I can do better," Rooney told the Times of India. "But going into the next game, I always feel I am going to play well and am confident. I wouldn't let the previous tournament or previous matches distract me whether I am playing for England or United." The two goals against San Marino were the first of the season for Rooney, who is yet to get off the mark for Manchester United in 2012-13. However, with the arrival of Robin van Persie at Old Trafford, the forward is being deployed in a deeper role and is happy to let his team-mates do the scoring. "I am not thinking about that as long as we keep winning, we have got players who can score goals for us as well as myself," he stated. "If it comes, it comes. If not, as long as we are winning, I'm not really concerned about it." The build-up to the international break has been surrounded by discussions over social media and the FA's recently introduced code of conduct. Rooney himself has five million followers on Twitter and understands what comes with making comments online. "[Twitter] brings a sense of responsibility," the England man continued. "It is not something I went on to see how many followers I could get but it is incredible. There are some people on there who don't like you and follow you but the amount of support you get is fantastic. "Twitter is a good way for the fans to see a different side of you and away from football. I don't try and get involved, you do get a bit of stick on it but I try and leave it and not get involved. You obviously know everything you put on there is seen by everyone who follows you and it will be in the newspapers the next day so you have to be careful."